Last Updated On:
Out of all the amazing books, guides, tutorials, webinars, seminars, events and conferences that talk about marketing in the digital realm, few of them will actually talk about the things you shouldn’t do as a marketer.
So, in all it’s glory, here are 19 digital marketing mistakes to avoid at all costs, and what to do instead.
- Don’t talk about your competition in a negative way. Certainly, don’t insult them.
- Don’t sell products, sell ideas, innovations, and solutions instead. (You’ve definitely heard that one before, right?).
- Don’t go in blind… Define who your audience, customers, readers are before marketing to them.
- Don’t overlook the importance of your brand’s message. Have a clear and concise marketing message in place.
- Don’t ignore your customer’s feedback.
- Don’t use too many ‘unclear’ call to actions.
- Don’t make excuses why your products or services suck.
- Don’t ignore your analytics and data, they’re valuable.
- At the same time, don’t waste your time and energy focusing too much on vanity metrics, focus on your conversion strategy instead.
- Don’t forget to split test.
- Don’t waste your time, money, and resources on marketing tactics that clearly don’t work, focus more on the tactics that are already giving you results.
- Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket. Here’s a good example of this – Don’t depend solely on search engine traffic for the growth of your business or website.
- Don’t post or share unoriginal content.
- Create content for humans, not just for bots and algorithms.
- Absolutely do not vent your frustration or anger on social media. It’s not professional.
- Don’t forget to pay attention to customer experience. This is so important.
- Don’t pretend video is NOT important. Click here to check out the latest stats.
- Avoid putting off responding to customer emails in a timely fashion.
- Don’t forget to build your email list from the very start!
Have I missed anything?
If I’ve missed anything important, drop me an email here and I’ll pop it on the list.
Need to scrub up on your digital marketing know how? Check out this post for an in-depth guide on the best digital marketing ideas and strategies to grow your business!
Psst, need some help creating a conversion ready website for your business? Click here to see how I can help.